The Honors Program is open to AES majors who excel in their academic achievements. This option is designed to allow undergraduates to conduct an original research project under the direction of a faculty adviser. Working closely with a professor on an independent study basis enables students to pursue special intellectual interests and also provides excellent preparation for graduate school. The Honors Program aims to expand and intensify academic experiences, thereby contributing to build a community of undergraduate scholars within AES and across the university. Thus, AES Honors students are encouraged to present their projects at the UW Undergraduate Research Symposium held every spring quarter. Students who complete the Honors Program graduate "With Distinction in AES," which is noted on their transcripts and diplomas.
Requirements for admission into the AES Honors Program
Students applying to complete the AES major with Honors must:
- Be a declared major in American Ethnic Studies
- Have a minimum of two quarters of full-time study at UW prior to applying to the Honors Program. In exceptional cases, this requirement may be waived for transfer students with the endorsement of their prospective Honors adviser
- Maintain at least a 3.7 GPA in AES courses taken at UW
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 for all courses taken at UW
- Have the support of a prospective faculty adviser for entry into the Honors Program
Admission to the AES Honors Program is competitive; fulfillment of minimum eligibility requirements or membership in the College Honors program does not guarantee automatic entry. All students hoping to go into the AES Honors Program (including College Honors students) must apply during the first three weeks of Winter Quarter, usually in their junior year.
The AES Honors Program Application is available from the AES Academic Adviser, or it can be downloaded, here. Fill out the form and return it to Dalia Correa, AES academic adviser, at B-509 Padelford Hall, before 1 Feb. If you have not met the requirements before the end of winter quarter, you may be admitted provisionally and then, when your winter quarter grades become available, the AES Honors Committee will reassess your application.
Requirements for completing the AES Honors Program
- Completion of all course requirements for the B.A. degree in AES
- Completion of AES 496 (Honors Thesis) and approval of the thesis
- Completion of at least 10 additional credits in approved, ad-hoc AES Honors courses with a grade of 3.7 or better.
- Maintaining a cumulative UW 3.5 overall GPA and a cumulative 3.7 GPA for all AES courses
- Language courses and large survey courses are not acceptable as ad hoc Honors courses
Frequently Asked Questions